can you transfer your divorce case to another state?

Can You Transfer Your Divorce Case to Another State?

Divorce can often lead to significant life changes, including the desire or need to relocate. But what happens when you’re in the midst of a divorce process, or even after a divorce has been finalized, and you or your ex-spouse wants to move to another state? Understanding the implications of such a move on jurisdiction and the divorce process is essential for anyone considering crossing state lines during this tumultuous time.

Navigating Jurisdiction in Divorce

Jurisdiction refers to a court’s authority to make legal decisions and judgments. In the context of divorce, jurisdiction is typically established in the state where the couple resides. If you’ve filed for divorce in California, California courts generally retain jurisdiction over your case. However, life circumstances such as job opportunities, family support, or new relationships may necessitate a move.

Transferring Court Cases Between States

Transferring a divorce case to another state isn’t a straightforward process. Once a case is filed in a state court, that court retains jurisdiction over the divorce proceedings, usually until all terms of the divorce are finalized. To transfer a case, you would need to dismiss the case in the original state and refile in the new state. However, meeting residency requirements is a prerequisite to filing in a new jurisdiction.

Moving During a Divorce

Relocating while a divorce is pending complicates matters. Here’s what you need to consider:

  • Residency Requirements: Most states have residency requirements before you can file for divorce. In California, for example, you must live in the state for six months and in the county for three months before filing.
  • Child Custody: If children are involved, moving can affect custody arrangements. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) requires custody decisions to be made in the child’s home state, which is typically where the child has lived for six months prior to the legal action.

Impact on Child Support and Spousal Support

Relocating can also affect child and spousal support:

  • Child Support: Child support orders can be enforced across state lines thanks to federal laws like the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). However, modifications to the order will need to be made in the jurisdiction that originally issued the order unless both parties agree otherwise.
  • Spousal Support: Similar to child support, spousal support orders are also enforceable across state lines. Modifications will generally need to be sought in the issuing state unless jurisdiction can be appropriately established elsewhere.

After Divorce: Relocating with Court Orders

If you or your ex-spouse plan to move after the divorce is finalized, especially if it involves relocating children, you may need to go back to court to modify the custody agreement. Both child and spousal support orders remain in effect, but enforcement will be subject to the laws of the state where enforcement is sought.

How Jafari Law and Mediation Office Can Help

At Jafari Law and Mediation Office, we understand that life doesn’t stand still after divorce proceedings begin or even once they are concluded. Whether you are contemplating a move for a fresh start or have already relocated and are facing new legal challenges, our experienced team can guide you through the complexities of transferring your case or adjusting to new jurisdictional requirements. We can assist with enforcing or modifying existing court orders to align with your current circumstances, always with a focus on protecting your interests and those of your children.

Contact us Today for Your Consultation

Disclaimer: The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice. All information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information. This website contains links to other third-party websites. Such links are only for the convenience of the reader, user, or browser. Jafari Law and Mediation Office and its members, employees, and owners do not recommend or endorse the contents of the third-party sites.


Most states have a residency requirement for filing for divorce, which can range from a few months to a year. You will need to check the specific requirements of the state to which you’re moving.

Moving out of state with children during a divorce can be complex due to custody considerations. You should seek court approval before moving to avoid legal complications.

Federal laws ensure that support orders can be enforced across state lines. If your ex moves and stops paying support, you can seek enforcement through local authorities in your ex’s new state.

Yes, court orders for things like support and custody are generally recognized and enforceable across state lines. However, the specific process for enforcement may vary by state.

Yes, custody orders can be modified if a significant change in circumstances occurs, such as one parent moving out of state. However, this usually requires returning to court.

Similar Articles

Check out our latest blog posts.

View All
View All

Get Your Consultation Today

(310) 880-4541

Follow Us

    Contact Us

    Follow Us

    Call Now Button